Troubleshooting Methods to get rid of QuickBooks Error H505
The QuickBooks software allows its users to work in both single-user and multi-user modes. They might need to switch from one mode to the other frequently, but while they switch to multi-user mode, they might come across the QuickBooks error H505, indicating that QuickBooks needs some help connecting as the company file is on another computer. It means there is a problem with the connection between QuickBooks and the network. It can adversely affect the work efficiency of companies and lead to delays in completing tasks due to this error. When QuickBooks is in multi-user mode, there is supposed to be one server computer hosting the company files and many different computers being workstations accessing the files over the network.
Users can try analyzing the hosting settings of the server computer and the workstations and make the required changes to fix this error. They might also run the Database Server Manager provided by the QuickBooks Tool Hub. To learn more about the reasons behind this error and troubleshooting methods to fix it, continue to look through this article till the very end.
Do you need to fix the QB Error H505 or need help with any other issues related to QuickBooks Multi-User mode? Get in touch with our Technical Support team by giving us a call at 1.855.738.2784.
What are some probable reasons that trigger the QuickBooks Error Code H505?
The H505 error in QuickBooks is one of the errors from the H series, which means that there is a blockage in the connection between the QuickBooks Multi-User mode and the server. Some probable reasons that might trigger it include:-
- Corrupted or damaged QuickBooks network data files on your system.
- Your computer’s windows firewall might be blocking the connection between the server computer and the workstations.
- Your server computer’s hosting setting might not be correct to host multi-user mode, and you need to configure it.
- One or more of your workstations might be set to host multi-user mode, and you need to change their hosting settings.
- QuickBooks services like the QuickbooksDBXX and QBCFMonitor are supposed to run on the server computer. Something may have stopped them from running.
- QuickBooks might be lacking the admin privileges required to host multi-user mode.
Recommended to read: QuickBooks Error H303
What methods can you use to get rid of the H505 Error in QuickBooks?
To get rid of the H505 error in QuickBooks, you can execute the below-mentioned troubleshooting methods:-
Use the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool and the QuickBooks Database Server Manager from the Tool Hub on your server computer.
Running the above-mentioned tools available in the QuickBooks tool hub could help fix the error instantly, so use them with these steps:-
- First, download the QuickBooks tool hub from the official website of Intuit on the server computer.
- Now, install the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file you just downloaded and save it to a location that is easy to find.
- Choose the QuickBooks Database Server Manager option in the tool hub to run it.
- Now by selecting Start Scan, perform a scan on your company files.
- After the scan finishes, reopen the tool hub and access the company file issues section.
- Now run the QuickBooks File Doctor tool, which will repair any damage to the QuickBooks Company files.
- Reboot your system and switch to multi-user mode.
Review the hosting settings on your server computer and configure them if needed
The hosting settings on your server computer must be turned on to host multi-user mode. You can review and configure them with these steps:-
- Head to the File menu after opening the QuickBooks software on your server computer.
- Now move to the Utilities section in this menu.
- Turn the hosting settings on by choosing the Host Multi-User Access option if it is not selected.
- Now that your server computer is set to host files, you should be able to switch to multi-user mode.
Review the hosting settings on all your workstations and configure them if needed
In QuickBooks multi-user mode, all the workstations must have their hosting settings turned off, as there should be just one server computer hosting the files. You can review and configure these settings with these steps:-
- Head to the File menu after opening the QuickBooks software on all your workstations.
Now move to the Utilities section in this menu.
- Choose stop hosting multi-user access option if the host multi-user access option is selected to turn the hosting settings.
- Now that your workstations have their hosting settings in check, you should be able to switch to multi-user mode.
Check your server computer to ensure that the QuickBooks services like QBCFMonitor and QuickbooksDBXX are running.
Using the below-mentioned steps, check if the QuickbooksDBXX (XX depending on your QuickBooks version) is running on your server computer and then repeat the same steps to check for QBCFMonitor services:-
- Type services.msc in the Run dialogue box on your server computer and hit the Enter key on your keyboard.
- From the list that appears, double-click on QuickbooksDBXX and choose its Startup Type to be Automatic.
- You must Start the Service status if it is not running or started.
- Now hover over the Recovery tab and select Restart the Service from the First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failures drop boxes.
- Finally, after you save the changes, try to switch QuickBooks to multi-user mode.
Additionally, you should make sure that your windows firewall is not blocking QuickBooks multi-user mode, and also ensure that the QuickBooks services have the admin privileges required for multi-user mode.
These are the methods you can use to get rid of the QuickBooks Error H505. You can avoid errors in QuickBooks multi-user mode by keeping the hosting setting of your server computer and workstations in check. You should always ensure that QuickBooks’ connection to the server is not being blocked by any third-party application or program. We recommend you implement the methods in this article in the given order. If the error continues, talk to our technical experts by contacting us at 1.855.738.2784.
Recommended to read: QuickBooks Is Unable To Open Company File